Monday, November 2, 2009

Try something new

This time of year brings out the hearty stews and thicker homemade soups, but I wanted to try something different. In particular, I had perused a old copy of Bon Appetit and found a recipe for "Chicken, Ham and Fennel Pot Pies" which sounded interesting. So after work I stopped at the grocery to pick up the fennel and some whole milk (no 2% allowed in this dish!) I already had the chicken thawed but needed some ham.

The recipe is simple. It's made in the New England chicken and dumpling fashion, but with the fennel and fennel seed twist. After being afraid it would be overpowering, I was pleasantly surprised! It has just enough flavor to make it stand out without being annoying.

The instructions are for eight individual pot pies, but I skipped the crust so that I could freeze some for future use. The portions that I've kept out will get a fresh individual dumpling when I reheat them for suppers this week. The other neat thing is that a by-product was this bowl of chicken stock which I will freeze for an emergency - like getting sick anytime in the near future.




I apologize for not posting more photos, but I had to put it in the fridge. I kept wanting to sneak back for another bowl.

4 comments:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

oh yeah..I saw it there in all it's glory...Home By The Fire...

I'm going to save reading the post till I get out of this funky heat wave mood......

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

We'd enjoy a little of that heat if you could send it over. :)

Scattering Lupines said...

I have been wanting to develop a taste for fennel. I just don't have it. I can't even eat Italian sausage because of the fennel in it. But, I see all these recipes-- come to think of it a lot of them are in Bon Appetit-- with fennel as a main flavor and it makes me wish I had the appreciation for it!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

But wouldn't the world be dull if we all liked the same thing? :)

I've enjoyed seeing the recipes you have shared, fennel-free!!!