Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Past Due Tuesday #4



Wearing Nature on your sleeve – no, on your ears

If I could have three wishes, one of them would be for more vintage jewelry, of the inexpensive but unique variety. I have several nice pieces, having whittled my collection down to a manageable clump of inexpensive bracelets, screw-back and clip earrings, and gaudy 50’s and 60’s necklaces. Over the years I went to countless yard sales, secondhand shops, and church rummage sales looking for that unique piece to brighten an outfit. Most times I would walk away without a purchase, and sometimes I would buy an awful necklace to put on and wear for the rest of the morning (with my "Saturday" clothes and dirty sneakers!)









One of my favorites is this set. It is unmarked. The silver/pewter colored metal is questionable, maybe an alloy. The clip-on earrings each have three leaves with little glass chips. Each segment of the necklace is a sawn branch with a leaf and a chip – the end of the branch even shows the growth rings of the tree. My favorite part is the dangling ball at the end of the chain, which is a precious little acorn. I have no idea exactly how old it is, but I don't believe it was made within the last 40 years. The weight of the piece, the sturdiness, the clip style earring backs, and the details on the links have me thinking that it dates earlier than the mid-60's. I would appreciate any information on the set, if anyone has (or has seen) something similar. (My apologies for the fuzzy photos. I tried different light setings, inside, outside on the deck, without luck.)



Be sure to check out more Past Due Tuesday posts over at Roomies. Join in and spotlight one of your treasures, then link to Roomies to share!

8 comments:

Scattering Lupines said...

My husband and I tried to become professional garage sale perusers when we lived in Florida. It was FUN. Most of the stuff I bought I ended up giving to Good Will. But it was still fun!

I love the jewlery! Vintage is best. I have often thought it would be fun to collect such pieces...

MyStory of HiStory said...

That's really pretty. Isn't in strange....how you can just FEEL quality. When something is good quality you can just tell - & when it's not ... you can usually tell that too.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Lupines,
I'll bet you two had fun! Start early and get a coffee somewhere along the way. When I lived in VT I would go with friends, but I think I spent more when I was with them....lol!

Hi MyStory,
Quality is the key, isn't it? That's what has lasted all these years, handed down the generations and now showing up at yard sales. I think you've mentioned before - will we see some of today's *stuff* at sales in years to come? :)

Carrie Clayden said...

great find, vintage jewelry is always in style!! I love finding it for next to nothing and wearing and saying this was 50 cents!!! hahaha. Thanks for sharing and for your comments!!
hip chick

Cass @ That Old House said...

These are lovely pieces; how nice to find a set. The costume jewelry of "the past" is so much nicer and will outlast today's by eons!

And another clip earring wearer? I LOVE YOU. We are rare birds. My daughters, 22 and 23, don't have pierced ears either -- I think they believed me when I told them they'd have enough problems with the holes God already gave them, and they didn't need to add more!

Wish I had some insight as to the origins of your set -- it has an early 60s look to me, but that's just instinct.
Cass

farmlady said...

These are beautiful! I think they made much better "costume" jewelry back in the 40's. 50's and 60's. It's too bad that we, whos Moms had bundles of this jewelry, didn't appreciate the bounty that everyone loves now. Who knew that all this jewelry would be so popular.
I have clip earrings that I still wear. They are not uncomfortable if you wear them properly and I think you can still get little pads for them to protect the back of your ear.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Carrie,
I agree, it IS always in style!

Hi Cass,
I hope your daughters ALWAYS listen to you :)

Hi farmlady,
I wish I still had all the "junk" jewelry that was handed down by my aunts and cousins years ago....but I enjoy these "finds" now and then. Thanks for the tip about the pads!

True Blue Roomie said...

What a gorgeous set this is, and so appropriate as to the turning of the seasons! Trees are dropping their leaves and the beauty of their naked branches are being revealed, just like your jewelry! Thanks so much for sharing--only wish we had more info to pass along to you about your pieces. Thanks again, for participating in PDT! See you next week!