Monday, November 9, 2009

Past Due Tuesday #3


One of my uncles was in Europe during World War II. He didn’t talk about it very much, but we have a few clues about his time in the service. Along with two letters from a friend, there is a U.S. government issued booklet on Great Britain, which explains to servicemen how to understand British currency and customs at that time, and a few other items. There is also an ashtray made from the base of an artillery shell.






From my internet searches I have learned that this is called Trench Art”, as described on this website. During calm periods or when convalescing at hospitals, soldiers would create objects from spent shells or other metal. These could be quite simple or very decorative depending on skill, available time, and tools on hand. Ours is simple, but has a secret. The importance of the inscription is a mystery. It is simply marked with a year and a place. It's something that we'll just never know...


Thank you to every Veteran and all those currently in the military, for your service to our country.

Be sure to check out more Past Due Tuesday posts over at Roomies. Join in and spotlight one of your treasures, then link to Roomies to share!

7 comments:

Jan Ely said...

I have NEVER heard anything about this type of item and I find it very interesting! Now you've got me wanting to "google: it and find out more! Thanks for sharing!

MyStory of HiStory said...

Don't think I've ever heard of trench art before. Interesting. If only ashtrays could talk huh?!...I imagine this one would have quite a story to tell.

True Blue Roomie said...

What a great item to have to remember your Uncle and so timely with Veteren's day upon us! Thanks so much for joining and sharing in PDT!

Scattering Lupines said...

What a marvel, that piece. And "trench art" is new to me, too. How interesting.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Me too...and I'm an antiquer..never ever heard of Trench Art.....interesting

More later,
Kary

farmlady said...

You have taught all of us something new and very interesting. Trench Art must be one of those unspoken arts that kind of stayed underground, like the soldiers experiences.
Thanks for the interesting PDT post and the tribute to all of the brave folks who defend our country.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello friends,
Growing up with this ashtray in our house, I thought everyone knew about these. I guess you have all taught me something today!
The story of Trench Art is an interesting look into the life of soldiers who were stationed in Europe. In the midst of war, they took time to create.
Have a wonderful day!