Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Paint


There are a few secrets that this city is keeping from me. It whispers as I drive by, but not loud enough for me to hear what it says. I stopped on Sunday morning and asked it directly, what is this? Silence. No answer. This building stands before me on a bright, sunny Sunday morning, flaunting the fact that I know precious little about it.












Davidson’s was quite the store, back in the day. A local resident told me that they handled just about everything to furnish your home, paint, draperies, foam rubber, fabrics, even Viking sewing machines according to the painted advertisement. She remembered going there with her mother. It was THE place to go. But it closed over 30 years ago, along with many other stores in this downtown area.

I’ve always loved seeing the fading painted signs on old brick stores. So keep your secret, you will live on for me in my photos.

1 comment:

Scattering Lupines said...

mmmm. Haunting. Beautiful. Remnants of so much life.