Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tech reduction

I unplugged my television this past May for a one month reprieve from the advertisers, the biased media, and the mind numbing drivel that is pushed into our living rooms through that little cable. I came out of the month generally happier than I started. Yes, I found other things to do. I went walking with friends, read a book or two, did some crafting, and re-introduced myself to the radio that sits in that same living room.

In two weeks as I set my clocks back, I will also unplug the television for the month of November. And even as I will miss the good shows on PBS, I am looking forward to being outside, working on crafts, and digging into some good books.

Tonight I haven't been able to find good music on my local stations. Perhaps there's an online station for jazz or big band era music. Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Mug said...

A good idea to turn off the TV for a month....Just in time for you to finish that beautiful quilt in your previous post or start another one:).....I commented on your quilt post, too....You are making me want to quilt, too!

MyStory of HiStory said...

Good for you!! I don't think we'll grow old & ever wish we watched more TV! :)

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

I love that comment..." we won't grow older wishing we'd watched more t.v. ". How true.

I used to have that t.v. on constantly.It's off now. Either radio or nothing. And it's nice.

More later,
Kary

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello friends,
I couldn't wait for November and started two nights ago when I found jazz24 online. Wonderful music.
Hi Mug, I think it will be great background music while I'm sewing all these quilts. :)
Hi MyStory, you are absolutely right. VERY well said.
Hi Kary, Nice music in the background while cooking this weekend? What's on the menu?

Happy Friday, everyone!

Scattering Lupines said...

I have been enjoying vivaldi lately.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello Lupines,
Now that's a great idea for Sunday! I'll be in all day and take out my old records. Vivaldi, maybe Pavaroti...
Thanks!