Monday, September 21, 2009

Road Trip: New England - part two

(Part two, please see part one - posted earlier.)
In our conversation on Thursday evening, my son said that the excavation and foundation for the new church was complete, and all available hands would be assemblling for construction at 7:00 on Saturday morning. My reply was "Great. I'll help." I knew most of the parishoners and the pastor, and it would be great to see them again.


There were 70 or more people ready to start on Saturday morning. There were groups who were assigned to work on the actual building, and a group of us cleared overgrowth on the side of the property along the road. It was amazing how much was accomplished with so many helpers.
These folks were as happy to see me as I was to see them. It's been a while since I last attended a mass with them, but we chatted and laughed as we pulled vines and took down old barbed wire fencing.

This is the before and after of the work performed by the landscaping crew. It only took about 3 hours.




There were at least two large bags filled with empty bottles and cans that were found in the overgrowth of weeds, wild vines, and scruffy shrubs.

The building crew worked under capable supervision of one of the church members who earns his living as a contractor/builder. Everyone stopped to watch the first wall go up at 1:10pm.





This is the real New England; it's people working together, building community. There were breaks for coffee and lunch, with baked goods and sandwiches of all kinds. The caring and love was evident in the preparation of the food to nourish the crew. The pride radiated as the walls came together.

I'm really happy for these folks, who've been without a church "home", and I'm looking forward to attending mass there on one of my next visits.

And I slept so well that night!

(More to come...)

1 comment:

MyStory of HiStory said...

Welcome back! Gglad you had such a good time. Many times people get away to relax...but not you - at least not this time :)

hmmm perhaps some good ol fashioned HARD work is the Rx many need in order to get a good night's sleep these days :)