Thursday, September 24, 2009

More Numbers




1956 was quite a year, based on this listing on Wikipedia.

It was the year in which Fidel and Raoul Castro, Che Guevera and 79 other exiled revolutionaries left Mexico on a boat, beginning the overthrow of the Batista government in Cuba. Regardless of opinion about these people now, their ambition and dedication to their cause merits some admiration. How many of us would fight for something we believed in, against governments and militia?

Norma Jean legally changed her name to Marilyn Monroe, and married Arthur Miller. If only her life could have been slightly different.

Don Larsen of the NYYankees pitched the only perfect game in a World Series. Yogi was the catcher. They played against the Brooklyn Dodgers. I would have liked to have been in the stands for that game.

But what might have been most important to me (writing this) and you (reading this); an IBM team invented the hard disk drive.

Look through the full list, it was an important year in history.

Where were you in 1956?

(Full disclosure: Facts taken directly from Wikipedia.)

4 comments:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

I was born in 1956....

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Happy B'day!!!

MyStory of HiStory said...

Hmmm I think it would have been an amazing time to be alive. I guess if I could have picked a time to have grown up it would have been the 50's...think Happy Days!, jukeboxes, really neat cars, drive in restaurants & movies, sock hops, diners - more mom's stayed home & worked hard & more dad's worked hard & then came home :)

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Oh, I love that you are baking something this weekend...can't wait to hear what you come up with.....

Kary