Saturday, September 5, 2009

Kitchen prep

To cut down on my time in the kitchen this weekend, I did some prep work yesterday morning.

I boiled some wild and long grain rice that will be used for a quick stir fry.

Lentils were cooked to be ready for veggie burgers. I've been making this recipe since Rob posted it on his website, after he found it on Red-Icculus's website. I'll use the last of my giardiniera to top the burgers. (Time to can up another batch.)

I also made some raspberry spread from a package of berries in the reduced section of the produce department at a grocery store. $3.99 raspberries for $1.33, and in good condition - no fuzzies. I knew they wouldn't last so I put them in a saucepan with a touch of sugar and let them bubble into a sauce, then added a little lemon juice. Perfect addition to my oatmeal. I should have enough to make it through Monday morning.

Later today I'm making Parsnip and Cheddar Souffle from the January 1995 issue of Bon Appetit. (Found the issue at Goodwill yesterday.) And to satisy the sweet tooth it's Rice Pudding from "Mott's:A Better Way to Bake/Delicious Low Fat Recipes". These two recipes are new for me, and my hopes are pretty high on them.

That should keep me full and happy until Tuesday!

1 comment:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Oh how I love the souffle from the old Bon Appetit found at the Goodwill. I need to make a Goodwill run. I too am on a raspberry kick. Going out to the old Avila Barn and getting some end of summer berries and making Silver Palate raspberry pie to take to a Labor Day BBQ tonight.

Happy Labor Day Weekend.
Best,
Kary