Saturday, September 12, 2009

If Walls Could Talk




I am so intrigued by this building that I stopped one day to take pictures so that I could save the images forever. It has obviously been closed for a long time.





The windows must have been beautiful, considering their size. They have been boarded over, and the boards have been painted as to imitate the windows. I tried to imagine an evening with lights shining through the original glass.

There is still evidence of its grandeur with details in the columns topped with acanthus leaves that flank the windows, the railing and spindles across the top, and scrollwork near the arches on the facade.







It certainly draws my attention on this city block.

Wouldn't it be ideal as a theater, for plays or maybe the opera?

5 comments:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Abandoned buildings always look so sad to me. I imagine seeing in my mind what it was like when it was still "alive".

People dancing and laughing, eating and drinking, smiling,talking.......

Living their life.

MyStory of HiStory said...

Yes! What potential here ... neat windows! Oooh what a fresh coat of paint & some creative energy could do for this place...& this community. We have some bldgs around town that could use some of the same.

Mug said...

It always makes me sad to see wonderful old buildings such as this not being used when we are so quick to build new ones. Old ones have so much more character and give so many ideas on how to make them better that we might never have thought of otherwise....

Scattering Lupines said...

hauntingly beautiful.

what a grieve-worthy waste.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

For some unknown reason this building has not made me feel sad. I still have hope for it. It looks like it was "preserved" (boarded up) so that it could be revived.
It's true, Mug. We have some beautiful buildings that could be renovated instead of building new.
Keeping my fingers crossed...