Thursday, September 10, 2009

Excess

Excess: (per the Encarta Dictionary)
1.surplus
An amount or quantity beyond what is considered proper, usual, or sufficient



Reported this morning on WCBS news radio: On the set of her new movie, Sarah Jessica-Parker wears a necklace worth $198,000; more than the median price of a home in the US.


Shortly after, their housing report stated that for the month of August mortgage institutions filed 358,000 foreclosures, which equals 1 out of every 357 US homes.

This article from the NYTimes details people who are no longer counted as “unemployed”. They have been unable to find work for so long, the Bureau of Labor Statistics now counts them as 758,000 “discouraged workers”. The profiles in this article are heart-wrenching.

Why is the movie industry still promoting the excessive lifestyle? Would it better serve us by helping instill “family values”? $198,000? C’mon, couldn’t a sparkly paste necklace achieve the same effect?

4 comments:

Scattering Lupines said...

ENOUGH SAID! I have NOTHING to add to that rant. I'm in total concord on EVERY point. It's disgusting, and I will NOT be seeing that movie... or many others that are out right now for that matter!

My, my. I love your blog. Full of poetry, stories, AND wise insights on current events!

MyStory of HiStory said...

Well said. Anything more ... would simply be in excess :)

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Ditto girls....OMG..what is the deal. Poseurs.
For Sure. I don't want to know any poseurs. No thank you. (Poseur: those that project an attitude to intimidate others.) What else could this be. Why on earth would you wear a necklace like that? How about a $200,000 donation to a worthy cause. I think I feel sick.

I've never seen " Sex in the City". Celebrities.
NO THANK YOU.... I'm just not into that sorta thing....

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello friends,
I try to catch the news about what's happening to real people. The ones like you and me.

In the 40's or 50's Hollywood would make hero movies to lift our spirits when things were bad. Today it seems that they don't realize we need a lift. Are they still trying to "sell" us the lifestyle that not many can afford?

P.S. I didn't watch Sex In The City because it just didn't interest me. It seemed too phony.