Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Mom, can I have some money for ice cream?

An enterprising woman in my area has turned a vintage Good Humor ice cream truck into.....an ice cream truck. She has some coolers filled with ice and treats, and can be hired to drive over for parties.

There was a Good Humor man who would drive through our neighborhood after dinner time when I was young. All the kids (and some adults) would run out for a toasted almond on a stick or a lemon ice, when they heard the jingling bells coming down the street. And the trucks could be found at the town parks and ballfields on hot afternoons.

And yes, this truck still has the bells on the front.

3 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

Ahhh the memories associated w/ the ice-cream man. I remember my mom used to give me $ to buy a treat from the ice cream man who parked right across the street from the school (what a gold mine!) I grew up out west - w/ the intense heat there, this was really a treat for the walk home.

My youngest now has ice cream man radar...she can hear the one that drives thru our neighborhood now & then from a mile away! One of my favorite sounds of summer! & one of those things I have a hard time saying "no" to :)

Scattering Lupines said...

Oh, she is my hero! Bringing back a CLASSIC that children all over your town will cherish as a fond memory...

And what a GREAT excuse to eat ice cream everyday!?!?! This woman needs YOUR business to keep her noble idea alive!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi MyStory,
You are lucky to have and ice cream man still travelling through your neighborhood!

Hi S.L.,
Yes, a classic. In my memories, an ice cream from the back of that truck was better than HaagenDazs or B&J!