Sunday, August 16, 2009

I'm back

As the end of summer nears, time seems to go by faster. This past week is one big blur. To my dismay, I could not slow the hands of the clock as I spent four wonderful days visiting my family in Vermont. The weather was gorgeous, the lake was sparkling, and life was so good.

Saturday morning was spent at Lake Champlain with two sons, one daughter-in-law, one possibly (hopefully) future daughter-in-law, four grandchildren, and a friend. We broke fast with bagels and local cream cheese, washed down with good coffee. There's so much to catch up about; what everyone's been doing, their plans, ideas, thoughts on local and national politics, and just plain fun.

We walked down to a maritime exhibit where the public was invited to board and examine a tugboat, a barge, and a schooner. It was interesting to all of us, but the children really enjoyed it. I think they're ready to start the school year....

There's always something happening at the waterfront. This weekend an art class took advantage of the sun and sailboats...

Vermont is always interesting. Whether it's the whales tales on I-89...

Or an old bus-turned-rv...


Or a rhinoceros crashing out of the second story of a building...



It is welcoming to creative people, and folks who like to be around them. You might see a "rickshaw" being towed by a bicycle, or a small van painted as a pink pig. It's always interesting....and relaxing.

Each morning I awoke to the cheerful birdsongs. Each evening I felt the day slowly give in to the blanket of night. I felt refreshed, not having to look at the clock or answer the phone.

I left for home this morning, driving through the mountains in a dew that hung heavy and sleepy, not wanting to break for the day. It was cool and moist enough to cause goosebumps on my legs, reminding me that next time I drive up, I won't be wearing shorts. This photo was taken at 8:00 a.m. The sun had risen hours ago. I'm sure as I made my way down I-91 towards Massachusetts, the mist gave in and the sun warmed the day.


It's hot here in CT. I've got the fans running. Before I go to sleep, I've got to set out my clothes for work tomorrow. And set the alarm clock. Vacation's over. But I'm looking forward to driving up in the fall......

2 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

Welcome Back! So glad you had a great time w/ family. I've never been to Lake Champlain but hope to get there eventually.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hello MyStory,
Your family will love Lake Champlain and the surrounding area.
Great people, neat things to do, cute shops, unsurpassed scenery, and a relaxed attitude all around.