Sunday, August 30, 2009

Dilly Casserole Bread

I wish this were a 'scratch and sniff' photo.
The Farmhouse Kitchen posted the recipe for this wonderful bread, complete with step-by-step photos. Super simple, and very tasty! The crust has an interesting texture, it crunches when you slice through it. While the inside is soft yet dense. (My crust came out darker than the ones in her photos, but all ovens are different.) A big surprise was the wonderful aroma coming from the oven after about the first fifteen minutes. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm!
The recipe - Dilly Casserole Bread from Bessie - is a treasured memory for the writer on The Farmhouse Kitchen. Now it is a new favorite for my mother and myself. I'll be making it for my children and grandchildren on my next visit up north.
- Here - is the link to her recipe. If you try it, please let her know!

6 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

Ooooh Yummm. There is nothing quite like homemade bread baking in the oven --- or the smell! Enjoy!

Mug said...

I printed off the recipe and will get the ingredients on the way home. Can't wait to try it....Sounds GoOd!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

I am so happy to hear that you liked the bread. We usually eat the whole thing at dinner, just me and my husband. It does smell good and it just feels old fashion. I have more "Bessie" recipes. I'll be going through them and put them up after trying them out. It has been a long time ago..well, 40 years ago, my brother just turned 40, and Bessie helped my mom with him.

I LOVE NEW ENGLAND ! I am "pretending" I live there. What state are you in?

More Later,
Kary

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Kary,
It has taken a LOT of self-control to take only a slice (or two) at a time!

I am currently in southern CT, after 24 years in VT. Although I may be heading back north in a year or two. (Missing the family.)

Best wishes!

Scattering Lupines said...

When I talked to my mom last night, she was making this bread! She saw it on your blog. I think I will give it a shot, too!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi S.L.
Please give us 'feed' back.... :)