Wednesday, August 26, 2009

....and abandoned a parking lot.....

What would happen to the Earth if we were gone? How quickly would all traces of mankind disappear?

This is a parking lot that is no longer used since they built a two layer garage at the nearby mall. Overflow parking during the holidays is no longer their problem. Apparently neither is this waste of Nature, which bakes in the hot sun all summer and cannot get a satisfying drink of water under this pavement when it rains.

I noticed this when I took a shorcut on the road that encircles the mall on my way home last week, after continually seeing that many commuters turn in there. A random thought runs through my mind like the tickertape sign in Times Square. I was taken aback by how the most determined of grassy weeds have sprouted in every crack. Just as a dandelion seed looks for a sidewalk crack to grow another dandelion, Nature looks for opportunity to carry on.

Post title concept inspired by lyrics in Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell

4 comments:

Scattering Lupines said...

Ahh, so true! I have marveled at the same thought myself. I think nature would have its way with our ridiculous structures! Check this out:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://home.swipnet.se/dahlins/bilder/tree.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dahlinadventure.com/uresmal2.html&usg=__VNYrv0sCULspadsQJtTMCCsGiQY=&h=735&w=500&sz=86&hl=en&start=2&sig2=dF6g7TcppjVGNxtgW-UObA&tbnid=E6djZBceAJRmSM:&tbnh=141&tbnw=96&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dovergrown%2Btemples%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG&ei=eSuVSq-fFsrDtwelzflJ

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Thanks so much for stopping by.... sometimes...all I want is a recipe out of my mothers old red plaid recipe box.

I stumbled upon this the other day and raced to the grocery to get the cottage cheese...and it was as good (better?) than I remembered.

Let me know how you like it..sure makes the kitchen smell good too !

Best,
kary

MyStory of HiStory said...

Great(!) illustration Lupine.

Loved your last line Farmgal - & Oh the potential of such a space...mb a small park w/ a few shade trees, some benches/tables & swings ... So tough to see what could be - given what is...but the weeds do seem to be making the best of it.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi S.L.,
That is one impressive tree! It makes me feel so small...

Hi Kary,
You caught my attention with your mothers "old red plaid recipe box". Now there's a picture you should put on your blog. To a junker like me, that's candy!
P.S. I'll be baking this weekend.

Hi MyStory,
Yes, wouldn't it be nice if it were turned into a park? I'd take a picnic lunch there.