Friday, July 24, 2009

Before it's too late

Sometimes moving isn’t hard, but having moved is. Two years after having left northern New England, I get messages that I belong back there. Sometimes the messages are sad. This always happens by complete coincidence, when “there” is the last thing on my mind.

The other day I linked across a few blogs that I had not seen before. One blog caught my eye, since it was from my old stomping grounds. They had a sidebar link to a local TV station website, where I stumbled across a news article about an accident victim. Time stopped as I recognized the name of an old friend’s husband. As we now live in a time where land phones are becoming scarce I have not been able to locate a number to call. I cannot drive there for the services so I feel somewhat displaced and helpless. I will send a letter of condolences, of course, while wishing I could be there.

Several names from the past have been popping into my mind today. This weekend I’ll be sending out emails and making phone calls to say hello to old friends.

2 comments:

MyStory of HiStory said...

What a great thing to do! This made me think of some people I've lost touch with. mb this will motivate me to do the same.

Mug said...

"Sometimes moving isn't hard, but having moved is." I've never thought about it that way before, but, oh, how true!

The rest of your blog entry brings to mind an old poem by Adelaide Proctor which speaks of the the things we leave undone giving us more heartache or regret than the things we do.....NOT doing things we are prompted to do such as you mentioned you would be doing this weekend...Those names popped into your mind for a reason....I, too, need to send a few notes and call a few old friends just to say "Hi"....Thank you for this reminder:)